With the start of June comes the start of summer concerts, festivals, farmer's markets and movie nights under the stars. If you happen to live in Pittsburgh, there is no shortage of summer activities kicking off this month. And the great news is that most of the events in this month's list are re-occurring, so you can enjoy them all summer long! Let me know what events you're looking forward to this month! And if you're not from Pittsburgh, share with us the wonderful things going on in your city!
1. June in Pittsburgh is almost synonymous with the Three Rivers Arts Festival. Presented by the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust, this year the the ten day festival will be held from June 5 - 14th. In it's 56th year, this music and arts festival has become a tradition for many families. I can honestly still remember a t-shirt I got at the Arts Festival when I was probably ten years old. It was fluorescent pink and purple (again, I was child of the 80s). I wore that thing all summer with my matching pink and purple shoe laces. And the best part of the festival? Ummm....it's FREE!
2. Strawberry Festival at Soergel's Orchard - June 13th: Every fall, I go to Soergel's to pick my pumpkins, buy some gorgeous fall flowers, and stock up on cider. I sometimes forget that there are wonderful festivals going on at the orchard in the summer as well! The Strawberry festival will include tractor and pony rides, music, face-painting, opening of the Butterfly House, fresh produce, and of course strawberries!
Summer Nights are the Best Nights:
3. Seriously, it doesn't get much better than a warm summer night, some snacks, good friends, and a movie in the park. The Dollar Bank Cinema in the Park series kicks off June 7th and runs throughout the summer. Movies are shown at various parks throughout the city including Grandview Park on Mt. Washington and Arsenal Park in Lawrenceville. Seriously, is there a better date night idea? And guys....yes, it's totally free!
4. First Fridays at the Frick - June 5th: I had never heard of this event, but I am so excited that I stumbled across it! Presented by First Niagra, this fun event will take place on the Great Lawn at the Frick Art & Historical Center. Bring a blanket, pack a picnic dinner, and listen to live music under the stars. Again, guys...eh em...very inexpensive, creative date night! First Fridays at the Frick will also take place in July, August, and September....on you guessed it....the "first Friday" of each month.
Visit the Museum with the Kids!
5. Pittsburgh has so many great museums and exhibits, but I had to share these two with you. Both are totally kid-friendly! Jurassic Days will take place at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History on June 20th - 21st. Observe live reptiles, dig for fossils, and learn all about your favorite dinosaurs.
6. Eric Carle's Very Hungry Caterpillar is a children's book classic. On June 13th, the Children's Museum of Pittsburgh will bring the book to life through their Very Eric Carle: A Very Hungry, Quiet, Lonely, Clumsy, Busy Exhibit. This exhibit sounds so fun that I am looking for a kid to borrow for the day!
Shows Worth Seeing!
Mary Poppins - Benedum Center - June 9th - 21st / Man of La Mancha - Benedum Center - June 23rd - June 28th / Girl's Only - The Secret Comedy of Women - Cabaret at Theater Square - through August 16, 2015 / Disney in Concert - Tale as Old as Time - Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra at Heinz Hall - June 19th - 21st
Concert Season Begins!
June is officially the start of the summer concert season. There are a ton of shows coming to the city. Obviously, I can't list them all here, but check out Stage AE's site to get started! Did someone say Third Eye Blind and Dashboard Confessional?! Remember - child of the 80s - teenager of the 90s.
More Special Events:
Pittsburgh Magazine's 26th Annual Best Restaurants Party - Heinz Field - June 8th: This event includes food samplings from 50 of Pittsburgh's best restaurants plus live music, silent auction, and more.
Slide the City - South Park - June 6th - 7th: Yes, after many rumors - it's been confirmed that the giant waterslide will make it's way to Pittsburgh for two days this June!
Mutt Strut - Edgebrook Field in South Park - June 7th: 5K and dog walk benefitting Animal Friends
Pups & Pints - Grist House Brewing - June 28th: A "Yappy Hour" benefitting the Western PA Humane Society - enjoy a brew while your pup gets a massage and a photo in the free pup photo booth!
On-Going Throughout the Summer:
All of the following events will re-occur throughout the summer. So if you miss the event in June, you're not totally out of luck!
Downtown Rooftop Shindig - Top level of Theatre Square Garage - June 3rd
Market Square Farmer's Market - June 4th, 11th, 18th, & 25th
Yoga in the Square - June 7th, 14th, 21st, & 28th
Golden Triangle Bike Rental Guided Tours - all month long
Phipp's Summer Flower Show & Farmer's Market - Farmer's Market is every Wednesday starting June 3rd
PNC Pup Nights - June 9th & 23rd - benefitting the Western PA Humane Society
Jam on Walnut - Shadyside - June 27th